Saturday, July 5, 2008

4th of July

The 4th of July has always been my favorite holiday. I love that it's the only big summer holiday, there is no pressure of gift giving, it's a fun family day, and the entertainment is free! Well this year was one of my favorites. After my morning run Drew, Maddux and I took it easy all day. We slept, ate, watched TV, went to the pool and around 5:00 we finally got ready for the day and left the house. We went to Dick's Sporting Goods (one of Drew's very favorite stores) then we met Nate, Becca, Soren, and Sophie for dinner at Texas Roadhouse (We opted out of BBQ-ing in the 105 degree heat). Then we drove over to Tumbleweed park for the fireworks show. It was supposed to start at 9:30 and it didn't start until almost 10:00. It's NOT a nice thing to keep a VERY excited almost-three-year old waiting to see fireworks for the first time! It was so cute to watch Soren be so excited. All-in-all the show was a hit. Even the babies did great! Sophie was in awe the whole time! Maddux had a bit of a scare in the middle but recovered pretty quickly. My favorite part of the entire day was watching Maddux watch the fireworks. I probably looked at him more than I did the sky.
Drew and I agreed last night that being parents is the coolest thing EVER!

8 comments:

Beth Curtis said...

oh my gosh too cute! I love his little face in the hat!

Lauren said...

I love the hat. You guys are such a cute family.

Matt and Jayna said...

That is the coolest shirt Maddux has on. I can't believe how late they do fireworks these days! I was bummed because I really wanted Shaylin to stay up and see the fireworks because you can see them from our backyard(they do a huge party at the park nearby), but they didn't start until 10p either! She was so tired from the long day, so we just put her to bed. SOO late for kids. Anyways, glad you had a great fourth!!

Brandis said...

How fun to take Maddux to fireworks. Ashtyn was 4 months old when she saw her first fireworks and she liked it up until she fell asleep. :) I miss going to watch fireworks but just can't bring myself to drag 3 kids out in the 100+ degree heat & fight crowds & traffic. We walked to the end of the street & watched the tippy-tops of the fireworks shows that we could see. :)
I must not have worked hard enough this morning. I can still walk. :)

Stephanie said...

That first picture of Maddux is adorable. Well, actually they are all adorable but I especially like that one. I am glad you guys had a fun fourth...wish we could have crashed the party.

theniufamily said...

Oh fun! I am glad you guys like fourth of July to becasue I feel like no one around here likes to get into it. He looks so cute in the pool!

Dana said...

Maddux is sooo cute!!! Sounds like you guys are doing great in AZ - I hope you are staying cool.

tiffany garfield said...

It sounds like the perfect day! Fourth of July is my favorite holiday next to Christmas. I think I just love that it's an outdoors holiday. I really love all your pictures!! Maddux just gets cuter and cuter the older he gets and you guys seem like such fun parents! Lucky kid!